The 2030 Commitment
Join the national initiative that provides a framework to help firms evaluate the impact of project design on energy performance
In 2006, Architecture 2030 issued the 2030 Challenge, a breakthrough vision that calls for all new buildings, developments, and major renovations to be carbon-neutral by 2030. To support this call to action, we created the AIA 2030 Commitment—a national framework with simple metrics and a standardized reporting format—to provide a structure for tracking progress and help you meet the challenge.
Firms from all over the country have been tracking and reporting projects since 2010, with over 2.6 billion sq ft of project work reported in 2015 alone.
Why you should join
- you’ll get access to anonymous, confidential data from leading AIA firms’ projects worldwide so you can follow and measure your impact.
- you’ll help clients save money by further integrating energy analysis and metrics into your practice.
- you’ll boost your firm profile by developing new sustainability approaches and creating a firm culture that exemplifies sustainable design.
- you’ll be part of the growing cadre of firms who are working to combat climate change through education, energy modeling and advocacy.
- you'll have access to worldwide and regional comparison data (reported by participating firms) to gather insights of best practices and improve your approach.
Measuring our success
When your firm signs onto the 2030 Commitment with the AIA, you can collect and report a streamlined set of data on our confidential reporting site, the Design Data Exchange (DDx). The DDx is a flexible, individualized database to measure your progress, track project and office performance and access other actionable information.
Join the AIA 2030 Commitment
In only five steps, you can be a part of the AIA 2030 Commitment and help ensure a carbon-neutral built environment.
2030 Commitment resources
When you join the 2030 Commitment, you get access to resources, courses and easy-to-use tools to help improve your energy performance and your practice.
2030 Design Data Exchange (DDx)
Track your firm’s progress to 2030 carbon neutral goals and confidentially compare energy data with the AIA 2030 Design Data Exchange (DDx).
AIA 2030 Commitment By the Numbers
An overview of the progress that projects and firms are making towards greater energy efficiency and the profession's 2030 targets.
2030 Commitment signatory firms
In 2016, 175 firms submitted their design portfolios covering 2.7 billions square feet.